Milwaukee  |  Waukesha  |  Madison  |  Racine  |  Kenosha  |  Lake Geneva  |  Appleton  |  Green Bay  |  Wausau  |  Rhinelander  |  Stevens Point  |  Sheboygan  |  West Bend
When accidents or injuries happen to you or someone you love...why choose anyone else®
Home > Articles > Motor Vehicle Accidents and OWI

Motor Vehicle Accidents and OWI

Instead of separate laws that deal with the consumption of alcohol and illegal substances while driving, the state of Wisconsin has one law that deals with a wide range of impaired drivers who choose to get behind the wheel. Drivers under the influence of alcohol or another banned substance may be found guilty of operating under the influence of an intoxicant or other drug (OWI). If you have suffered an injury in an accident because of a driver under the influence of any intoxicating drug, you may have options available to you to get the financial restitution you need in this time of trial.

Even if you are a safe driver, you could suffer a serious injury in an accident caused by a driver under the influence of an intoxicant or other drug. When another person chooses to drive irresponsibly, you should not be the one to shoulder the consequences. To discuss your case, contact a Rhinelander car accident attorney of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. today at 800-242-2874 and schedule a free consultation.

Examples of Banned Substances

Unlike simple DUI laws, OWI laws are intended to address individuals who drive while under the influence of any banned substance. Criteria for an OWI conviction include the following:

  • Blood alcohol content level at or above .08%
  • Blood alcohol level at or above .02 percent on third offense
  • Any schedule 1 controlled substance
  • Any trace of cocaine

Drivers who have been charged with an OWI may not only face criminal charges, but also civil charges if they have injured another person through their recklessness.

Contact Us

While drivers convicted of an OWI suffer legal repercussions, you can also hold them liable for financial losses by filing a civil lawsuit. To talk about whether you should pursue a civil case to receive financial compensation, contact a Rhinelander auto accident attorney of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. at 800-242-2874 today.

Live Chat!
  • The information disclosed in this form does not constitute, nor create an attorney-client relationship.
Super Lawyers Martindale Hubbell AV Rated