Under Wisconsin state law, it is illegal to drive a vehicle in any way that endangers other people or their property. Reckless driving is a big problem in the United States, with one third of all vehicle accidents occurring due to reckless driving, according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Authority.
If you or a loved one has been injured as a result of a reckless driver, contact the Rhinelander auto accident lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 800-242-2874 to learn more about your legal options.
Signs of Reckless Driving
A few common signs of reckless driving include:
- Running red lights
- Ignoring stop signs
- Rude gestures
- Failing to exercise caution around pedestrians and bicyclists
- Failing to yield
- Turning quickly around corners
- Switching lanes frequently and weaving through traffic
- Failing to use a turn signal
How to React to Reckless Drivers
Some useful tips for safely handling reckless drivers are:
- Resist any urge to drive aggressively in retaliation. Keep in mind your own safety and the safety of other drivers and passengers.
- Increase the distance between yourself and the reckless driver. Slow down or carefully pull over to the shoulder so that the other driver can pass you without endangering traffic in the oncoming lane.
- Once you have safely removed yourself from the situation, report the driver to the local authorities if you feel the driver is compromising the safety of others. Note the location, car description, and license plate number.
Innocent victims should not have to suffer because of the dangerous behavior of negligent drivers. If you or a loved one has been injured by a reckless driver, you may be able to receive compensation. The Rhinelander auto accident lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® can thoroughly evaluate the facts of your case. Contact us today at 800-242-2874.